Brakel chicken is one of the oldest chicken breeds in Europe. It was first produced in the Brakel region of Belgium. It is grown for both eggs and meat.
The Brakel chicken was a popular chicken breed centuries ago that was available in every home coop in its area. However, it is possible to say that it is a very rare breed of chicken since it has lost its popularity today.
The difficult times during and after the Second World War caused a drastic decline in the number of the herd, almost to the point of extinction.
Brakel Chicken Characteristics
Brakel chicken breed shows very similar characteristics to Campine chicken breed. Despite this, Campine has developed differently from Brakel, and the most noticeable difference between a true Brakel and Campine is the fluffiness of the rooster and its low weight.
The most basic features of the brakel chicken are the uniform flat neck color and the pattern on the feathers. They have long red combs and white breasts. Comb and beard color is red in both roosters and chickens.
There are many kinds of colors. But gold and silver color variants are most common. On average, Brakel roosters weigh 2-2.5 kg and hens around 1.8-2.2 kg (small roosters about 0.8 kg and hens about 0.7 kg). The ring sizes are 18 mm and 16 mm for standard sizes of roosters and chickens, and 13 mm and 11 mm for the small breed, respectively.
Brakel chicken can lay 180-200 eggs per year as egg production. Egg color is white. Egg weight is 55 grams.
Information About the Brakel Chicken Breed
- The Brakel chicken breed is a very old Belgian breed.
- Today, the Brakel chicken breed is rare.
- It became widespread in the 18th century and has been cultivated by private brakel breeders since then.
- While the Brakel chicken breed was available in many different colors in the past, today it is only available in Gray with White (Silver) and Brown with Black (Gold).
- Today, the Brakel chicken breed is grown in many countries of the world, but it still has not escaped being a rare breed.
- Available in black, brown, gray and white colors
- Comb, Eye and Beak are completely red.
- There is a round white under the eyes.
- Its beak is strong and large
- It has a strong wing structure
- It has a short tail structure
- It is a densely haired breed.
- It is a medium sized chicken breed.
- their legs are hairless
- Live Weight Rooster: 2 – 2.5 kg
- Live Weight Chicken: 1.8 – 2.2 kg
- Number of Eggs: 180 – 200 (per year)
- Egg Color: White
- Egg Weight: 55 grams
- It is a very tasty meat breed.
- It is a breed that cannot inseminate naturally, so artificial insemination is required.
- Their ability to find bait on the ground and in trees is exceptional.
- Their flying abilities are quite good.
- Offspring reach sexual maturity at 5 to 6 months.