The Ispenc chicken breed is one of the rare chicken breeds that has survived from the time of the Ottoman Empire. In fact, İspenç chicken figures were found on the floor mosaics of the Dag Pazari Church in Mersin, which was built in the 5th century AD. This is one of the greatest proofs of how pure and precious the Ispenc breed is.
General Characteristics of Ispenc Chicken
- It has a small, miniature and upright body posture.
- Beard and Cheek hairs are distinct and distinguishable from each other.
- The leg feathers are abundant and dense, covering the shank completely.
- Each foot has 5 toes. The beard epithelium (wattle/earring) is negligibly small.
- It is a lively and active race, its roosters have an aggressive temperament.
Ispenc Rooster Features (Competition Standards)
- Thoracic cage (Body) : The sternum is short, the rib cage is rounded and wide. The general body posture is upright.
- Neck : It is of medium length and slightly curved. Neck feathers (manes) may be long up to the shoulders and extend into the beard hairs.
- Back : Due to the long neck hair, the back has a rather short and curved appearance.
- Shoulders : Shoulder spacing is wide and the shoulder is rounded.
- Wings : Medium length, close to the body but not attached, and the wingtips are slightly convex. The wings should not be carried all the way down, perpendicular to the body. Extra finger structure can be observed at the wing tip.
- Saddle : Broad and well developed saddle feathers
- Tail : Solidly broad, dense main tail feathers appearing to be carried high and upright, sickle feathers long and inclined tending to cover the main tail feather roots.
- Chest : It is quite wide, full and round in appearance compared to its body mass. It looks upright.
- Abdomen : Wide and full, covered with dense hairs.
- Head : Medium-sized, broad, well-rounded and short in structure.
- Face : The ratio of epithelial tissue is less, it is mostly covered with hairs and has a lively expression.
- Comb : It has a relatively coarse point and high rose comb type. Comb papillae are prominent, discrete and high-looking. The comb is not flattened and does not seem to extend behind the skull.
- Beard (wattle) (Earrings) : Beard feathers are embedded in it. It exhibits an undeveloped structure.
- Ear lobes : Under the cheek hairs and not very prominent. Ear lobe color is red.
- Eyes : It has very large eyes compared to the face. The eyes are lively and dark orange and in tones.
- Beak : Medium length, strong and slightly curved. The beak and the skin color of the feet should be compatible (See Table 1).
- Thigh : Short and strong, there are sword hairs extending from the joint area to the back.
- Feet : Ankles slightly below average, completely covered with dense hairs. The skin color of the feet should be in harmony with the color of the beak.
- Toes : Each foot has 5 toes. Fingers should not be conjoined, they should be distinguishable from each other. The middle and outer toes are covered with hairs. Hairing may be observed on the other fingers, although not necessarily.
- Feathers : It has a dense and dense feather structure. Mane and saddle hairs are long.
- Ispenc Rooster Live Weight (25 weeks old): 700 grams
- Rooster Bracelet Size: 15mm
Ispenc Chicken Standards
- Except for the characters affected by gender, it has the same characteristics as the rooster in terms of body structure.
- Cheek and beard hairs are more prominent than roosters.
- The neck feathers are shorter than that of the rooster, and therefore the back is more pronounced.
- The tail is shorter and lower than that of the rooster.
- The saddle feathers are shorter than the rooster’s, but still seem to cover the tail roots well.
- Ispenc Chicken Body Weight (25 weeks old): 550 grams
- Ispenc Chick Weight: 24 grams
- Ispenc Egg Weight: 30 grams
- Ispenc Egg Color: Cream color
- Chicken Bracelet Size: 14mm
Serious Flaws That Shouldn’t Be in the Scottish Breed
Narrow, long and pointed rib cage, narrow and flat chest
Too large body structure, too long and flat back plane
missing sword feathers
Missing leg feathers
Missing hair growth on the middle finger
Number of missing fingers
Adhesion of the 4th and 5th fingers and the absence of finger separation
Too thick and spread tail
Underdeveloped cheeks and beard
Coarse and very prominent beard epithelium (earrings)
Large and very prominent ear lobe
The face is completely covered with soft epithelium
Serious Defects That Shouldn’t Be in a Comb
A depressed, conjoined, long comb extending to the back of the skull [the comb should remain within the skull area and not exceed the skull end point (occipital bone) borders], and flat comb with indistinct papillae were indicated as serious defects.
Ispenc Color Types
Ispenc participating in the competitions will be evaluated in 17 color categories accepted by EE.
Black, White, Buff, Blue, Gold, Splash, Brown, Al (Red), Buff Mottled (It was Yellow Snow), Black Mottled (It was Black Snow), Brown Mottled (It was Brown Mottled), Blue Mottled, Gold Mottled (It was Golden Snow) , Patridge (Partridge pattern), Porcelain, Mille Fleur, Isabel.
Is the Ispenc Breed Right for You?
If you are looking for a breed that will make you happy with its small and cute looks in your coop, I can say that İspenç is the perfect fit for you. Also, since it is our national breed, you may want to help its cultivation become widespread.
Chickens are known for being very friendly and calm. However, it is not possible to say this for ispenc roosters. If you want a rooster like a little brother-in-law in Kemel Sunal’s movie Tosun Pasha, I definitely recommend you to adopt an İspenç rooster.