Leghorn chicken, is the most productive chicken breed that lays more eggs with less feed. The laying yield of up to 300 eggs per year has unfortunately led them to be used for industrial egg production rather than for poultry houses in the garden. Ligorin, which is the favorite chicken breed of the cage system layer chicken industry, has become a decoration for hobbyists’ coops with its silver, red, freckled, spotted, brown, isabel, black, etc. colors besides its classic white color. Today, there are 17 color variants of the Ligorin chicken.
Characteristics of Leghorn Chicken Short Brief Facts
Leghorn chicken is among the very famous breeds. The reason why this chicken breed, originating from Italy, is famous is that its egg production is at a very high level. The Leghorn chicken, which has a white, plain and pleasant feather structure, is a common chicken breed. It is among the chicken breeds that you can easily obtain in our country. Since it is not a very sensitive breed, it can be easily looked after and grown in most environments. It is better than most chicken breeds in endurance level, it is resistant to diseases and parasites, although there are even better chicken breeds, this breed’s resistance level is not bad.
- The Leghorn chicken breed is a breed of Italian origin, and it is known as American origin, mostly because it is bred and sold by Americans.
- Today, Leghorn chicken is grown in many countries of the world.
- The Leghorn chicken breed got its name from the Italian city of Livorno.
- Egg production is a very high breed, so Leghorn is a world-renowned chicken breed.
Leghorn Appearance Properties
- Available in 17 different colors, mainly white
- Comb, Eye and Beak are completely red.
- Its beak is strong and small.
- It is a medium sized chicken breed.
- Legs are hairless and yellow
- It has a strong and large wing structure
- It has a short tail structure
Leghorn Egg and Meat Yield Characteristics
- Live Weight Rooster: 2 – 2.9 kg
- Live Weight Chicken: 1.5 – 2.5 kg
- Number of Eggs: 250 – 300 per year
- Egg Color: White
- Egg Weight: 50 – 60 grams
- Egg Laying Age: 4 – 6 Months
- It is a very active breed.
- Leghorn chicken is close to humans
- They are an alert breed, they love to find their own bait.
- It is a breed of chicken that is resistant to diseases and parasites.