Marans chicken is famous for its chocolate colored eggs. The unique egg color is the only reason why the Marans breed is preferred. It was developed in France in the mid-1800s in the town of Marans. This breed got its name from the town of Marans, where it was developed. Marans chicken was developed using local wild chickens brought from Indonesia and India.
Marans chicken was first imported to England in the 1930s. It is originally a breed with feathered legs. But finally, the clean-legged Marans chicken variety was developed by breeding with some English and French breeds in England. Recognized by the American Poultry Association’s Standard of Excellence in 2011.
The Marans chicken is a dual-purpose combined breed known for both meat quality and extremely dark eggs. They grow and develop enough to be used in meat production. Marans chickens produce about 150-200 eggs per year. Marans chicken has many color variations. Colors recognized in French Standards; Black, Black Copper, Black body with White mane, Black tail Buff, Columbus, Cuckoo, Golden Cuckoo, Wheat and White.Cuckoo and Black Copper are the most common of these breeds. Black Copper Marans have black colored bodies with copper feathers on their necks. The Cuckoo, on the other hand, has barred plumage that gives it a black and white spotted (like Amrock) appearance. Other unrecognized colors are also available. Like Blue, Blue Copper and Splash. He has orange eyes. The legs are usually slate blue or pink. The soles of the feet should always be white as Marans have white skin. They have a single red comb (comb) and red faces.
The British standard of Marans chicken is clean legs, the Australian standard is recognized as both feathered and clean-legged; The Marans Club of America only recognizes feather-legged birds and requires the French standard feathered legs. Marans roosters weigh about 3.5-4 kg and chickens about 2.5-3 kg. There is also a small (bantam) variety of Marans chicken (approximately 1100 g male and 900 g female).
Marans Chicken Characteristics
- The homeland of the Marans Chicken breed is France.
- Marans Chicken breed was bred in Marans town of France in the 19th century.
- The color of Marans eggs is dark brown or dark red, such as chocolate.
- Feather colors Black, Black Copper, Birchen, Black-tailed Buff, Columbus, Cuckoo, Golden Cuckoo, Wheat, White and some other colors but not officially recognized.
- Comb, Eye and Beak area are red
- It is a large chicken breed
- Legs are white and hairless
- Live Weight Rooster: 3,5 – 4 kg
- Live Weight Chicken: 2.5 – 3 kg
- Number of Eggs: 150 – 200 (per year)
- Egg Color: Dark Red or Dark Brown
- Egg Weight: 60 – 65 grams
- Resistant to parasites and diseases
- Chicks develop fast and reach maturity
- It is a fast oiling breed and should be allowed to roam in open areas to prevent this.
- Feed reviews are very good
- It is an easy breed to care for.
Is Marans Chicken Breed Right For You?
If you want to have good looking chickens that produce chocolate colored eggs instead of seeing eggs in white and brown colours. If you want a good meat ratio as well as dark colored eggs. If you are looking for a breed that can tolerate almost all climates and is resistant to diseases, Marans chicken breed may be one of the chicken breeds that should be in your coop.