Wyandotte chicken breeds , Poultry, is one of the most beautiful-looking chicken breeds in the world. It originated in America in the 1870s. The original name of the breed is actually the American Zibrit. However, the American Poultry Association named it Wyandotte . In 1904, Wyandotte chickens were so popular that their price ranged from £35-165. At the time it was the price of a small house.
Wyandotte chickens are not a pure breed. It is derived as a result of crossing Brahma, Kochin (Cochins) and Hamburg breeds. Wyandotte is a breed that can be fed for both meat and egg production. It is resistant to low temperatures, although not very harsh cold. Their eye-catching feathers are their biggest feature that makes them special.
Wyandotte chickens are available in many different color variations. However, the Silver Laced Wyandotte variety is the most common and popular. Especially Silver Laced, golden laced (gold scaly), buff (buff), black (black), partridge (partridge hair), silver pencilled (silver lead), lavender, blue laced (blue scaly), pure white (pure white) etc. There are 17 different color variants.
The Wyandotte chicken is a very adaptable and gentle bird. However, they tend to dominate the other birds in the flock and have strong personalities. They prefer to roam freely. Wyandotte chickens are a bit noisy. Chickens growl easily and are very good mothers.
Wyandotte Appearance Properties
- It is available in many colors including feather color, white, black, gray, gold, silver, brown and blue.
- The comb, eyes and beak area are red. The rose is a comb.
- It is a medium sized chicken breed.
- Its legs are hairless and yellowish.
Wyandotte Yield Properties
- Live weight rooster: 3 – 3.5 kg
- Live weight chicken: 2.5 – 3 kg
- Number of eggs: 160 – 180 (per year)
- Egg colour: Brown tones
- Egg weight: 55 grams
- It is a calm and docile breed.
- Chicks develop fast.
- It is a breed with developed maternal instincts.
- Amazing colorful feathers
- Wyandotte chickens are a bit noisy. Not everyone likes the sound of chicken. So, if you live in urban areas, this can be a problem.
Is Wyandotte Right For You?
If you want to have high egg and meat yield in the chickens you want to feed. At the same time, if you want it to appeal to my visual world with its colorful and patterned feathers. If you want my chicken to be a gurk, let it take care of its chicks and raise it. Wyandotte is a very suitable chicken breed for you.